If you are interested in working at Carlisle Area School District as a substitute teacher, substitute paraprofessional or substitute nurse please complete an application to be hired through Education Staffing Solutions (ESS). 

Click ESS Jobs to create an account and apply or visit for more information.


Certified substitute teachers must hold a valid Pennsylvania teaching certificate. Emergency substitute teachers do not need to hold a Pennsylvania teaching certificate.  An emergency permit is obtained through TIMS on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website. 

Substitute paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or equivalent.

Substitute nurses must hold a valid Pennsylvania Registered Nurse license. 

The following documents are required for employment with ESS:
I-9 Immigration Employment Verification Form
4-Tier Employment Form
W-4 Form
Local Earned Income Tax Form
Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report
Workers Compensation Disclaimer
Direct Deposit or Pay Card Option
Act 168 Sexual Misconduct Abuse Disclosure Release
School Health Form within the past year with TB test within 90 days
Act 126 Mandated Child Reporter Training
Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance
Act 34 PA State Police Criminal History Record
Act 114 FBI Fingerprint Clearance
Proof of Education
Emergency Permit (for substitute teaching)

For substitute questions and SAMS assistance contact:

Janice Baker
717-240-6800 x16804

For questions regarding clearances or TIMS assistance contact:
Michelle Sarokon
717-240-6800 x16802

Related Files

TIMS User Guide  

Substitute Teacher and Support Staff Hiring Event
September 19, 2018
October 24, 2018
December 7, 2018

Substitute Handbook